Enable LEDES Billing for the Firm
LEDES is enabled under Firm Setup with a simple on-off setting:
There are several options that control how LEDES files are generated and what codes are available:
- LEDES Law Firm Id: This value will be inserted in the LAW_FIRM_ID column all LEDES files generated by the system
- LEDES Law Firm Tax Id: This value is required if you are using the LEDES 2000 format, but not used for LEDES 98b.
- Default Invoice Description: When left blank, the INVOICE_DESCRIPTION column will be set depending on what state the invoice is in. Draft invoices are marked as "Draft", approved invoices are marked "Interim" and invoices submitted to QuickBooks are marked "Final". If a value is provided in this field, the invoice description will be set to that value. For example, setting this field to "Interim" will mark all invoices as "Interim". As shown below, it can be set for individual clients or matters too. (LEDES 98b format only.)
- LEDES Code Sets: Your selection of code sets determine which codes are available for time entries and expenses. Standard activity and expense codes as well as litigation task codes are enabled by default.
Enable LEDES Billing for the Client
Once enabled for the firm, individual clients can be enabled individually for LEDES. You can find this option under the matter and the LEDES tab:
There are two columns of settings, the first applies to the client as a whole (shared for all matters) and the second is specific to the matter.
- LEDES Format: Specify whether the files generated for this clients are LEDES 98b format, or LEDES 2000 XML format.
- Required Codes: If activity and/or task codes are marked as "required", it will not be possible for users to create time entries for this client without those values set. Same for expenses.
- Default Invoice Description: The INVOICE_DESCRIPTION field is set automatically by LeanLaw, but can be overwritten here for either the client or for the matter
- LEDES Client Matter Id: Typically provided by your client which will be included in the LEDES file in the CLIENT_MATTER_ID column
- LEDES Law Firm Matter Id: The field LAW_FIRM_MATTER_ID will by default have the matter reference from LeanLaw, or the matter name if no reference exist. Alternatively you can provide an value here.
Assigning LEDES Codes on Time and Expenses
Once enabled for a client, time entries will include activity and task code selections:
Note that you can search for task codes to quickly find them or you can just pick them from the list.
Same thing for expenses:
Generating LEDES File
To generate a LEDES file, first generate an invoice. When the invoice is generated open in LeanLaw and there will be a LEDES button at the bottom:
To generate a LEDES file you simply click on the LEDES function as shown on the arrow above. It will create a downloaded LEDES file (red square) that you can upload to your client.
Also when the invoice is sent to QuickBooks, we attach the LEDES file to the invoice. This allows you to also e-mail the invoice to the client and the LEDES file will be attached: